After the water mitigation system was installed, our radon levels in the basement headed higher than I wanted. (4 is the EPA limit. We were getting readings in the 7-8’s.)
As per normal, I got three estimates for folks to handle Radon mitigation, and in this instance the least expensive one was also the highest reviewed, most experienced, and most interesting and trustworthy to work with. Win, win, win.
John “The Radon Guy” was out today to install the system. He was fast, efficient, and hopefully effective.
Because of the water mitigation system, he had to be a little more creative than typical. He put in some foam tubes to stop the air flow from the openings against the wall from the in-floor drains.
The foam tubes going in:
It was an easy, effective, inexpensive solution to a pesky problem with the openings.
Next, a hole into the sump pumps’ pit, using the water mitigation system to give the radon an easy flow path to clear out from under the foundation.
A short tube runs just a few inches into the pit, then heads up and out.
This makes my regular routine of checking things at the sump pump easy.
I check to make sure the sump pump green lights are on. Now I also check to be sure that the pump on the radon system is still running.
The levels of blue “water” have nothing to do with radon levels. They are simply measuring that the suction and pump are working.
To check the radon, I’ll continue to monitor the long-term tester in the downstairs apartment.
This was the reading before John arrived this morning:
The goal will be to get those numbers at or below 4.
Not totally valid, but I am gratified that after only an hour with the system going, the short-term number is already dropping.
And the outside pump where all the venting action is taking place.
One more step in the effort to make this a home that fits our life as much as possible.